Wilderness Medicine remains the single most important source for information and advice for anyone who may encounter medical emergencies in nontraditional settings. The completely revised fifth edition includes 19 completely new chapters covering such topics as volcanic eruptions, wilderness cardiology, living off the land, and many more. Packed with practical information that stresses improvisational medicine, the book is a must-have for anyone with an interest in the outdoors.
Full colour used throughout the book
Information is presented in a consistent, logical, reader-friendly manner.
Emphasis on improvisation throughout the book
Packed with step-by-step instructions, how-to explanations, and practical approaches to wilderness emergencies
Includes many new chapters, including Volcanic Eruptions; Bandaging and Taping Techniques; Tactical Combat Casualty Care; Wilderness Cardiology; Wilderness Neurology; Chronic Diseases and Wilderness Activities; Mental Health in the Wilderness; Technical Rescue; Desert Travel and Survival; Mosquitoes and Mosquito-Borne Disease; Malaria; Rabies; Hydration and Rehydration; Living Off the Land; Exercise, Conditioning, and Performance; Care of the Disabled; Wilderness and Endurance Events; Wilderness Medical Education; Wilderness Preservation; and Aerospace Medicine—The New Frontier.
A new design and enhanced color illustrations improve visual appeal and provide a cohesive design throughout the book.
Text with DVD
2007, 5th edition, Hardback · 2336 Pages · 2107 Illustrations
1. High Altitude Medicine 2. Avalanches 3. Lightning Injuries
COLD AND HEAT
4. Thermoregulation 5. Accidental Hypothermia 6. Immersion in Cold Water 7. Nonfreezing Cold-Induced Injuries 8. Frostbite 9. Polar Medicine 10. Pathophysiology of Heat-Related Illnesses 11. Clinical Management of Heat-Related Illnesses
BURNS, FIRE AND RADIATION
12. Wildland Fires: Dangers and Survival 13. Emergency Care of the Burned Victim 14. Exposure to Radiation from the Sun 15. Volcanic Eruptions
INJURIES AND MEDICAL INTERVENTIONS
16. Injury Prevention 17. Principles of Pain Management 18. Bandaging and Taping 19. Emergency Airway Management 20. Wilderness Trauma, Surgical Emergencies, and Wound Management 21. Improvisation in the Wilderness 22. Hunting and Other Weapons Injuries 23. Tactical Medicine and Combat Casualty Care 24. Wilderness Orthopaedics 25. The Eye in the Wilderness 26. Wilderness Dentistry and Management of Facial Injuries 27. Wilderness Cardiology 28. Wilderness Neurology 29. Chronic Diseases and Wilderness Activities 30. Mental Health in the Wilderness
RESCUE AND SURVIVAL
31. Wilderness Emergency Medical Services and Response Systems 32. Search and Rescue 33. Technical Rescue in the Wilderness Environment 34. Litters and Carries 35. Aeromedical Transport 36. Essential of Wilderness Survival 37. Jungle Travel and Survival 38. Desert Travel and Survival 39. Whitewater Medicine and Rescue 40. Caving and Cave Rescue
ANIMALS, INSECTS, AND ZOONOSES
41. Protection from Blood-Feeding Arthropods 42. Mosquitoes and Mosquito-Borne Diseases 43. Malaria 44. Arthropod Envenomation and Parasitism 45. Tick-Borne Diseases 46. Spider Bites 47. Scorpion Envenomation 48. Bites by Venomous Reptiles in the Americas 49. Bites by Venomous Snakes outside the Americas 50. Antivenoms and Immunobiologicals: Immunotherapeutics of Envenomation 51. Bites and Injuries Inflicted by Wild and Domestic Animals 52. Bear Behavior and Attacks 53. Wilderness-Acquired Zoonoses 54. Rabies 55. Emergency Veterinary Medicine
56. Seasonal and Acute Allergic Reactions 57. Plant-Induced Dermatitis 58. Toxic Plant Ingestions 59. Toxic Mushroom Ingestions 60. Ethnobotany: Plant-Derived Medical Therapy
FOOD AND WATER
61. Field Water Disinfection 62. Infectious Diarrhea from Wilderness and Foreign Travel 63. Nutrition, Malnutrition, and Starvation 64. Dehydration, Rehydration, and Hyperhydration 65. Living off the Land 66. Seafood Toxidromes 67. Seafood Allergies
68. Submersion Incidents 69. Emergency Oxygen Administration 70. Diving Medicine 71. Hyperbaric Medicine 72. Injuries from Nonvenomous Aquatic Animals 73. Envenomation by Aquatic Invertebrates 74. Envenomation by Aquatic Vertebrates 75. Aquatic Skin Disorders 76. Safety and Survival at Sea
TRAVEL, ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS, AND DISASTERS
77. Travel Medicine 78. Non-North American Travel and Exotic Diseases 79. Natural Disaster Management 80. Natural and Human-Made Hazards: Disaster Risk Management Issues
EQUIPMENT AND SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE
81. Wilderness Preparation, Equipment and Medical Supplies 82. Outdoor Clothing for Wilderness Professionals 83. Nonmedical Backcountry Equipment for Wilderness Professionals 84. Ropes and Knot Tying 85. Wilderness Navigation Techniques
SPECIAL POPULATIONS AND CONSIDERATIONS
86. Exercise, Conditioning, and Performance 87. Children in the Wilderness 88. Women in the Wilderness 89. Elders in the Wilderness 90. Persons with Special Needs and Disabilities 91. Wilderness and Endurance Events 92. Wilderness Medicine Education 93. Medical Liability and Wilderness Emergencies 94. The Ethics of Wilderness Medicine
95. The Changing Environment 96. Wilderness Management and Preservation 97. Aerospace Medicine Appendix: Drug Storage and Stability Index